I will be one of the speakers at BAST’s “Focus On: Performance Anxiety & Mindset”-event on May 22nd.
My talk “What We Focus On Expands: An Introduction Into Music Performance Anxiety” will give voice users, performers and performing arts teachers a theoretical and practical introduction into the vast topic of (Music) Performance Anxiety:
- When nerves are more than “just stress”: What is anxiety, and why do we develop (Music) Performance Anxiety?
- The different manifestations of anxiety: How feelings of fear and anxiety impact voice users and performers somatically, cognitively and behaviourally
- The neuroception of threat: Why understanding “fight, flight and freeze” is the first step to normalising our physiological responses and removing the stigma
- How to help:The difference between“top down”and“bottom up” approaches, and why there is no “one-size-fits-all-magic bullet”
- The importance of professional boundaries: When referral is advised
- Practical examples and explorations of safe strategies to help clients with (Music) Performance Anxiety without crossing the boundary into therapy
If you think this event is for you, or if you would like to have a look at the other topics and speaker: You can book here.