Is there anything I need to know before I book?
- Lessons and subscriptions are payable in advance/upon booking. THIS ALSO APPLIES TO YOUR FIRST LESSON/MONTH, so please be aware that you will need to pay upfront upon arranging a lesson time.
- Subsequent sessions, packages or subscriptions can be paid, again in advance, in the studio by card, or online via my webpage. Payments via bank transfer are accepted for UK customers only. At this point, the studio does not accept cash or cheques.
- All online payments are automatically processed via Memberships Pro and/or Stripe. Your data is encrypted and safe; none of your card or bank details are visible to Singing Sense at any point.
- All sales are final. Subscriptions, coaching packages and gift vouchers, or remaining sessions therein, are non-refundable. This does not affect your statutory rights, or your cooling off period (if applicable).
- Recovery of any fees owed is subject to UK late payment legislation.
- Subscriptions will be charged on a monthly rolling basis. You can cancel any time after your minimum commitment (no minimum commitment for "Sing me a Song!", 3 months for Ignite [singing], 2 months for Liftoff [cognitive-behavioural/somatic coaching]). Please make sure you cancel well in advance to avoid being charged for another month. All sales are final, and there won't be any monetary refunds, even if your cancellation is just one day late. There also won’t be any refunds for sessions if you cancel halfway through your billing cycle or choose not to attend/submit regularly.
- Subscription pricing is calculated on 40 weeks of service availability per year, not the amount of sessions/submissions in any given month (e.g. fortnightly attendance will not provide you with 40 sessions per year, but with at least 40 weeks in which the coach will be available to schedule your sessions). You don’t need to pay any extra if you get an additional lesson in months with 5 weeks, or if you receive more than 40 weeks of service per year. For the same reason, holidays/absences of both coach and coachee are paid through. Sessions will only be made up on a pro rata basis in case you didn't receive an average of 3.3 service weeks per month by the end of your subscription due to absence of the coach. Example: If you cancel after 3 months, you will only receive make up sessions [or pro rata credit where this is not possible] if you were not provided with at least 9.9 = 10 weeks in which service was available to you. If you subscribe for more than a year, service availability resets to 40 weeks on your anniversary date.
- If you cancel to avoid paying during shorter absences, a space cannot be guaranteed upon your return.
Packages and Gift Vouchers
- Sessions in packages have to be taken at the agreed interval (weekly for vocal coaching) and expire 3 months after your first session. This way, we ensure that you get the most out of your sessions and make satisfactory progress while still leaving enough “wriggle room” for longer planned absences.
- Gift vouchers have to be redeemed within 12 months of purchase, after which time they will expire unless otherwise agreed.
- Cancellation of coaching sessions requires 48 hours notice, otherwise the full fee is payable, regardless of the reason for your cancellation. This also applies in cases of minor illness. Sessions cancelled with sufficient notice will be rescheduled, but no monetary refunds will be given.
- If you have to cancel short notice for whatever reason (transport, contagious illness but well enough to sing etc), please note that it is always possible to have your lesson online - I want you to get the most out of your investment.
- If you are late, or (in case of online lessons) have not set up your equipment, our session will still finish on time. Therefore, please make sure you arrive on time and that everything is working properly in advance.
- If you are more than 15 minutes late without giving any notice, I might leave the studio premises/log off online, and your session will be forfeit.
- An adverse weather policy is in place in line with West Dunbartonshire Council's school closures (i.e. lessons cancelled due to bad weather will be rescheduled if schools are closed). If WDC schools are open, please trust your own judgment if it is safe for you to travel, but understand that short term cancellations will still be payable in this case (we can meet online in this case so you don’t lose out, see next paragraph).
By starting lessons/coaching, you automatically agree to these terms
Specific conditions related to coaching during the Coronavirus pandemic
At this moment in time, all vocal coaching sessions will be conducted online since teaching singing in person is not considered safe due to the high risk of transmission via aerosols. Sessions via Zoom are very effective, and I have been teaching singing online for over a decade, so you are in capable hands.
I will inform you if and when attending in person will be possible again, but this will be most likely with special precautions (social distance of > 3m, which is required for singing, singing with a mask, shorter lesson duration, hand sanitising etc) and hence a blended learning model (half in person/half online). For this reason, I strongly recommend to stick with online lessons even if given the choice since they will provide you with a better learning experience at this moment in time.
Cognitive-behavioural and Somatic Coaching
I suggest to stick with online sessions for the time being, but if you want to attend in person, you can do so at the Dumbarton Studio. Please be aware that certain precautions have to be in place:
- Come to the studio alone. If someone drops you off or picks you up, they will have to wait outside and have to let you know via text when they have arrived.
- You will be required to leave a phone number and address to simplify potential track and trace efforts.
- Please wear a mask (bringing your own is preferred, but they can be provided if absolutely necessary) and use the hand sanitiser that is provided to you at the door.
- Under no circumstances attend when you are feeling unwell or display any of the symptoms of Covid-19 (fever, cough, loss of taste or smell, skin rash, especially on your hands and feet). If I notice you are displaying symptoms, your session will immediately be stopped and you will have to leave (I might also decide to stop working with you altogether if you have attended intentionally despite being sick), and no refunds will be given for this session.
- My cancellation policy (48 hours) stays in place, but I will use discretion where appropriate since these are difficult times for everyone. If you repeatedly cancel by claiming to be symptomatic to avoid payment, I will reconsider and might remove you from my studio.
What do I need to bring to my sessions?
In the case of mindset coaching, you only need to bring yourself 🙂
In all other cases: Please bring your own playbacks, sheet music, music books, lyric sheets, tabs/chord sheets etc. whenever possible.
I usually don't recommend buying sheet music books straightaway because I first need to get to know your vocal strengths and weaknesses, your music and style preferences. All this information will eventually determine what sources I will recommend. Until then, I have a wide selection of materials in my music library we can use during lessons to get you started. I will be happy to suggest sheet music volumes and point you towards single sheet downloads - it is not always necessary to purchase a whole album or sheet music book, especially not at the start.
My studio is sufficiently equipped to plug in or connect your MP3 players/phone, or to play your CDs. If you need any help with choosing backing tracks or sheet music, feel free to contact me.