Would you like to…
- develop your speaking and/or singing voice?
- strengthen your musicianship skills?
- work on your confidence as a singer/performer?
- grow as a person?
- learn how the (singing) voice works?
- start teaching yourself but don’t know where to start?
- move your musical career forward?
- get rid of limiting beliefs tied to your voice?
My unique approach will help you build the instrument you always wanted.
I offer you
- a true passion for coaching
- a desire to help you find your voice – you don’t need to sound like everyone else, and there is no need to “learn classical technique first”. Our voices are designed to create all sorts of sounds in a healthy and sustainable way, so you do not need to worry that I will try to make you sound like someone you aren’t
- the ability to teach both classical and contemporary singing styles, both in person and online
- additional training in psychology, which enables me to help with issues related to performance anxiety, low confidence, artistic identity crisis and blocks (individual coaching packages available, please enquire)
- a studio equipped with two Yamaha Portable Grands, an extensive music library, backing tracks, Avid Vocal Studio (incl. condenser microphone & Pro Tools SE), a basic portable PA system with iPod dock and several dynamic microphones
- a supportive student network, ranging from complete beginner to seasoned performer and professional voice user, bands, music- and theatre groups
- speaking fluent English and German, plus having basic skills in French and Italian
Online or Studio
My clients cover the full range from complete beginner to professional musician. Past and present students include singers and actors in critically acclaimed films (British Independent Film Awards, Cannes Film Festival/Palme d’Or), The Voice UK and Britain’s Got Talent participants, recording artists and professional performers in Musical Theatre, Pop/Rock and Scottish Traditional Music/Folk.
Clients who book singing lessons and vocal coaching at the Dumbarton Studio travel from all over Scotland: Dumbarton, Clydebank, Helensburgh, Alexandria, Balloch, Glasgow, Oban, Inverness, Fort William and even the Hebrides. Some choose to attend at the studio regularly, others prefer a mix between in person and online lessons.
Long before Covid-19, I already taught online singing lessons and still provide online vocal coaching to clients around the globe: United Kingdom, United States, South Africa, Germany, Netherlands, France, Spain, Estonia, Russia, Malta and even Singapore and Brunei. Time differences can sometimes make things harder, but very often, they actually work to my clients’ benefit due to their complicated schedules (e.g. because they cannot find anyone locally who teaches what is very early in the morning or late at night for them).
My teaching is quite firmly grounded in physiology – the technical side of singing is important, and you will learn to use your voice in an efficient and sustainable way.
What though if I told you that this is only half of the equation? That there is more to singing than just having technical command over your voice?
This is where my special expertise in psychology and cognitive coaching comes in. You will discover how emotions and the power of intention do not only help you to tell a/your story, but also help with releasing and freeing your voice in the first place.
So how can you work with me?
I have a range of coaching options to suit every experience level and personal preference:
These are one-off drop-in sessions. They are most suitable as a first consultation or for more experienced singers and only available to students over 16 at a duration of 60 or 90 minutes, both in person at the Dumbarton Studio and online via Zoom.
My monthly subscription model (minimum commitment 3 months) for singers who wish to attend fortnightly for 60 minutes, or singers under 16 who attend weekly for 30 minutes. Between sessions, you have access to me via Marco Polo for feedback.
The option for committed singers who would like to attend regularly. You purchase a block of time and need to commit to attending at least once weekly (twice is possible) for at least 60 minutes. Time not taken will expire after 3 months.
Sing me a Song!
The vocal coaching subscription with a difference: This is not a lesson-, but a feedback model. Every week, you send me a Marco Polo video of your singing. I will send you a video with tips and “homework” that you practise for your next submission.